Cameraman based in Edinburgh, employed by ITN, working for ITV's Good Morning Britain covering stories all over the UK and the world. War Zones, World Cups, Royal Tours and many other less exciting assignments, like interviewing current and ex Prime Ministers have kept me busy over the years working in Breakfast Television since GMTV came on the scene back in '93 and regional TV before that. In 2009 I began to record what it is like to work, the often strange and long hours needed to bring the hard news, human interest and fluffy fun to the UK's TV screens in the morning, mostly broadcasting live.

Wednesday, 10 March 2010


Friday 26th February

The forecast snow had certainly fallen but we were pleased to see that although there was an additional coating on the cars there was not enough to stop us getting out on the A93 and along the short distance to Ballater.

Ian had left the STV North satellite truck in the centre of the town because there was no way that he would have been able to get it up to the hotel.

The STV North Truck.

The little town which is very close to Balmoral was a real picture postcard scene with a thick covering of snow.

We decided that the best technical option for us was to use the digi link that was on the truck.

However, the mount for the link was not compatible with my camera. The truck also carries a camera which meant I would need to use that instead of mine.

Ian rigged the link, Bob the sound recordist got his gear ready and I prepared the STV camera putting on a wide angle adaptor and the transmitting part of the link.

Ian with the Link Antennae.

The Camera all Wrapped up against the Snow with the Digi Link on the back.

Richard kept us informed of the the time to go before our first transmission. I was also listening to the PA count down to the programme going on air.

We were almost ready. There was only a minute or so until the titles rolled and we were on a couple of short minutes after that.

The pictures were getting to the truck and we were receiving the programme sound.

There was only one problem. I did not have time to swap over the camera light from my camera to the STV one.

We started to make our was to an area that was as brightly lit as possible.

There were now on a few seconds until we were on air.

I pointed the unfamiliar camera at Richard and framed him under some street lights.

It looked pretty, perhaps a little too pretty because the points of light from the lamps made lovely four point stars.

The link from the studio was being read. I was not sure which of the filter wheels to turn or which way to turn them to take out the star filter.

I’d just have to go with it.

Richard started to talk and walk around a huge pile of snow. He ended up infront of the bus station as a bus was being eased out over the snow for it’s first journey of the day.

I was not happy with that first broadcast. Richard was not lit enough for my liking and the street lights were just a bit OTT with the star treatment.

As the daylight came up the rest of the broadcasts went off without a hitch.

Business as Usual Even in the Snow.

The Post has to get Through.

It was a good morning’s work. Each of our broadcasts were from a different location with lots of movement to show the snowy conditions in all their white disruptive glory.

The annoying thing was that it was not possible to take the direct route back to Edinburgh because the roads were blocked.

There were at least some beautiful views on the way home, including one of my favourite sights an old black and yellow AA box.

The Cambus O'May AA Box.

I wonder if any AA member still has a key for the box?

No comments:

Post a Comment