Cameraman based in Edinburgh, employed by ITN, working for ITV's Good Morning Britain covering stories all over the UK and the world. War Zones, World Cups, Royal Tours and many other less exciting assignments, like interviewing current and ex Prime Ministers have kept me busy over the years working in Breakfast Television since GMTV came on the scene back in '93 and regional TV before that. In 2009 I began to record what it is like to work, the often strange and long hours needed to bring the hard news, human interest and fluffy fun to the UK's TV screens in the morning, mostly broadcasting live.

Saturday 26 January 2013

Dunkeld Snow


Tuesday 22nd January
Dunkeld

Over the last few days it has been the southern part of the UK that has had great heaps of snow dumped on it.

Now it was Scotland's turn. I was dispatched to Dunkeld in Perthshire for live broadcasts with Debi Edward in the morning. She had already done Monday's ITV Evening News and News at Ten. The snow had been falling very hard during those broadcasts causing much amusement to Mary Nightingale as she introduced Debi who was almost obscured by a blizzard.

The weather in the late evening on the M9 heading north was as the forecast had predicted.

..glad I knew where I was going..
..especially on the lesser, yet still A roads..
..snow not the only hazard, the odd deer or two on the road
Destination Dunkeld..
..and its snowy bridge.
In the early morning hours the satellite truck needed a little assistance from the hotel's tractor to clear a way up the drive to allow access to the still snow covered main road. Debi and I required no such help on our Land Rover Discoverys.

The location we chose for the live broadcasts was the southern end of the main road through the town, Atholl Street just before the bridge over the river Tay.

Atholl Street, Dunkeld's main street
Dave did not have a great deal of time to get the truck set up and running because to took a little while to get up the long hotel drive.

He did get it ready with enough time before our first broadcast to allow us to get the shots of the snowy town I had shot sent to London.

My shrouded camera at the back of the satellite truck
It was not the busiest of mornings but, we did have all the news bulletins, one programme broadcast and a multitude of weather shots to get done.
Covered camera looking down the main road
Debi poised to broadcast..
.. in the truck between broadcasts
The roads were pretty slippy and a lot of non-four wheel drive were having difficulty and at least one bus could not continue on its route. It just came to a slithering halt when the driver tried to get it up a slight incline on to the main road.
Dave helping to get one of he local's cars on its way
I was not cold with all my bed weather gear on. However, the wet was starting to penetrate. So, it was with no reluctance that we accepted a cup of coffee from the lady that had come to open the chemist shop that the truck was parked beside.
The driver of the stuck bus, Dave and the lady from the chemist shop with the welcome cups of coffee
The traffic builds, as does the daylight
The camera on the bridge..
..The River Tay beneath it
This was not the only offer we got. A while later the chap from the hotel opposite came and made the same offer. A perfect example of good old proper Scottish hospitality.
The 4x4 having done its job
Roads a little clearer heading south

7 comments:

  1. I would be flattened if all websites gave articles like that.st7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't envy you shooting in the snow. Well done for getting the job done!

    I have to say that shooting in the snow must be very hard. Here is Australia I only have to wear gloves a couple of days a year in the cold , then I find it really hard to connect with the camera and lens.

    I love the pics! really tells the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Much appreciated.

      Know what you mean about the gloves. I tend to take them when I'm actually operating the camera. That is of course until I lose the feeling in them!

      I do love living in Scotland but Australia is a great place to be. Sydney is a fantastic city. Last time I was there on holiday I joined the runners around the opera house. Very memorable.

      My eldest son is currently having a superb time in Oz, currently in Adelaide.

      Delete
  3. Affordable Hotels in Delhi- Are you

    looking for Hotels in Delhi? Call cheap hotel in Delhi Today @+91-9810104774 for Hotels

    in Delhi at affordable rates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remarkable blog! I have no words to praise, it has really allured me.tippmann gryphon package

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep on great working!! I didn’t expect that I will get such great thing from here.

    airsoft guns

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much obliged to you again for all the information you distribute,Good post. I was extremely keen on the article, it's entirely motivating I ought to concede. I like going to you site since I generally go over fascinating articles like this one.Great Job, I enormously acknowledge that.Do Keep sharing! Respects, www.vigilanceelite.com

    ReplyDelete