Cameraman based in Edinburgh, employed by ITN, working for ITV's Good Morning Britain covering stories all over the UK and the world. War Zones, World Cups, Royal Tours and many other less exciting assignments, like interviewing current and ex Prime Ministers have kept me busy over the years working in Breakfast Television since GMTV came on the scene back in '93 and regional TV before that. In 2009 I began to record what it is like to work, the often strange and long hours needed to bring the hard news, human interest and fluffy fun to the UK's TV screens in the morning, mostly broadcasting live.

Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Back at the maternity unit for live broadcasts.

Tuesday 7th

We were back at the Victoria Hospital’s Maternity Unit to do live broadcasts to introduce the little film that had been shot last Thursday.

Richard and Louise would come back so that we could see how the twins were getting on.

Yesterday the unit had been in the news. A couple were complaining because they said that because the midwives had been so slow to open the door when they turned up on Sunday night when it was minus four degrees Celsius that the baby had been born on the pavement.

Hilary would obviously have to mention that in at least one of our broadcasts.

Dave parked his satellite truck in the place that I had agreed with the hospital.

The truck parked out of the way on he pavement near the bus stop.

The window of the room that we had organised to use for the broadcasts was unlocked by one of the Balfour Beatty workmen.

Then what was planned as an easy rig became a potential nightmare. We had to get it done in time for the first broadcast.

The place that would be best for us to do the broadcasts from, because of where last nights babies had been born and where there were still women in labour, was a long way from the window.

It was good news that the cable on Dave’s truck was a fibre optic on rather than a much thicker and heavier coaxial cable that is on a lot of trucks.

We were therefore able to easily rig the cable up above the doors attaching it with gaffer tape.

It was going to be a busy morning. We had three long broadcasts to do along with lots of live shots.

The sister briefs Dr Hilary and producer Luke on what had been gong on in the unit.

The really good news was that the little film had been edited and ran for two minutes and forty five seconds which in terms of Daybreak was very long. The usual length for a feature piece is around the two minute mark.

We were ready just in time to do the first broadcast with Amanda the midwife.

It was quite a hectic morning for us but thankfully there were no technical problems to give us any stress.

A welcome lull as we wait for the next broadcast.

Louise and Richard with identical twins Aaron and Logan.

Louise with Aaron, or is it Logan?..

..even the new mum and dad have a little difficulty telling them apart.

Dr Hilary with Leanne and her forth baby..

...Sophie who was only a few hours old.

The staff were all very welcoming and best of all the toast and coffee that they rustled up for us was of the best quality.

The kit and cable was tidied up and taken out so that we were well out of the department before the normal business of the day.

Time then for the speedy trip to the airport so that Dr Hilary and producer Luke could catch their flights to London City airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment