Cameraman based in Edinburgh, employed by ITN, working for ITV's Good Morning Britain covering stories all over the UK and the world. War Zones, World Cups, Royal Tours and many other less exciting assignments, like interviewing current and ex Prime Ministers have kept me busy over the years working in Breakfast Television since GMTV came on the scene back in '93 and regional TV before that. In 2009 I began to record what it is like to work, the often strange and long hours needed to bring the hard news, human interest and fluffy fun to the UK's TV screens in the morning, mostly broadcasting live.

Tuesday 18 August 2009

Hanging Around in Hull.

Tuesday 18th August


Early in the day I made the trek south to Hull.


At the railway station I met GMTV’s political correspondent Gloria De Piero.


There was a plan to do a bit of filming and a couple of interviews, but as soon as I spoke to Gloria she said that there was a possibility that the filming would not happen.


Along with George the sound recordist who had done the journey from his base in Nottingham we sat in the station cafe waiting for a phone call.


The call would tell us if it was a go or not.


There was plenty of time for coffee and scones because the call did not come until the barista had piled up all the tables and chairs, and suggested it was time we left because he was closing up for the day.



Gloria Passes the Time Munchin' a Muffin.


It was a no go on the filming. A vital interviewee was unable to do anything for us.


George said good-bye and headed home.


Gloria and I had a bit of a drive around Hull town centre looking for a place to eat.


We were looking with no luck when Gloria suddenly said, “I think John Prescott’s favourite chinese restaurant in the world is in Hull.”


She did a quick google and found loads of references to a Mr Chu’s, reputedly the largest chinese restaurant in Britain.


I loaded the address into the trusty Tom Tom and was pleased to see that it wasn’t too far away and on the route back to the hotel I had checked into.


We might not have done the filming we planned to do but at least we had a very nice dinner.


Mr Chu's Britain's Biggest Chinese Restaurant and Pretty good Food too.

The other bit of good news was that I would be doing a down the line interview with the Tory leader David Cameron in the morning.


That wasn’t actually the good news.


The good news was that I would be doing it from the hotel I was staying in and it would not be happening until 7:30.


So the result was that I would not need to drag myself out of bed until 6am.

No comments:

Post a Comment