Cameraman based in Edinburgh, employed by ITN, working for ITV's Good Morning Britain covering stories all over the UK and the world. War Zones, World Cups, Royal Tours and many other less exciting assignments, like interviewing current and ex Prime Ministers have kept me busy over the years working in Breakfast Television since GMTV came on the scene back in '93 and regional TV before that. In 2009 I began to record what it is like to work, the often strange and long hours needed to bring the hard news, human interest and fluffy fun to the UK's TV screens in the morning, mostly broadcasting live.

Wednesday, 8 July 2009

Rain and More Rain.

Wednesday 8th July

When we were on they way to the location the weather did not look too bad.

However looking in the direction the wind was blowing there were thick steel grey clouds creeping closer and closer.

Movin' in the Rain.

If the wind did not cahange direction it would only be a matter of time before they menacing darkness attacked us with deluge of cold wet rain.

The edict had been sent from on high back at GMTV that if it was possible at all the location used should be outside.

There was a little shelter thing near the play area on the Biggin Hill Recreation Ground. Oliver rigged his kit under that so that if and when the rain arrived the delicate electrical gear would have a little bit of safety.

Even before any rain that might come it was cold enough on this early July morming for us to need to be wearing our warm winter jackets.

When Mr Motivator arrived he was none too happy about being outside in the cold. 

Not only would it be very unpleasant for him to strip off into his lycra but getting people warmed up and in a happy workout mood would not be easy.

We worked out what we were going to do outside. 

In the warmth of the nearby Spitfire Youth Club Mr Motivator and Deanne organised the workout and exercises.

We had a quick tease and an item to broadcast.

The plan was that Mr M and Deanne would come out with Sharon and the squad of  friends that had turned up so that they were not out in the cold for too long.

The nasty stuff from the sky started to dump over us just before we were due to go on air.

In the pouring rain Mr Motivator, Deanne and the crowd did a very quick bit of leaping around for the short tease.

They then all dashed inside.

There was no time for us to reposition the equipment inside.

It was totlly out of the question to get all the people to come outside again.

We decided to do the whole item under the little shelter and not do a workout.

Under our shelter.

Deanne smiles through the rain.....

.........but not the cold.

The Bigger Shelter.

Once we had done that there was time for us to get all the sound and camera kit into the Youth Club before the next broadcast.

We had only just finished rigging it and getting it working when it was time to do the tranission.

Thankfully it all worked.

Mr Motivator finds time for tricep dips.

Come on Simon not long until we're on air.

Pushy parent wanting to get her kid on telly:)

Jim and his equipment.

Cameraman Mike takes it all in his stride.

Oliver and Jim are ready to go.

Mike lines up the shot as Mr M gets the crowd warmed up.

Deanne does the autograph thing.

We had a visit from a voice we all knew well but a face we rarely saw. Dave, one of the Technical  Directors from the studio lives just up the road and pooped down to say hello.

He was very hospitable and invited us back to his house for bacon rolls.

After saying good bye to Dave and thaking him for the coffee and rolls I headed towards London.

Dave the TD enjoying location coffee before he returned the hospitality.

The plan for tomorrow morning was for us to do a big workout on the banks of the Thames outside GMTV.

The lesson of the last two days weather had been learned. As I was on my way I got a call to say it had been cancelled because there was no guarantee of good weather.

Something was going to be done from inside the building around the GMTV studios.

I went in to GMTV and met up with Simon the Director and the producers to discuss what the plan was going to be.

The total amount of inches that all the people that had signed up to the Bikini Diet was very imprssive. It came to more than 12 miles when added up.

The way we were going to symbolise this huge distance of shortened waistlines was to lay out a large long tape measure around the corridors leading in and out of the studios.

It meant there would need to be cables specially rigged for the cameras and there would be a lot of opportunity for camremen to run amock.

It gave the sound department a bit of a headache trying to make sure the microphones worked all over the area.

Late on in the afternoon Yiljan the Producer had to source a massive adhesive measuring tape.

It had to be sticky so that it could be put along the walls.

I lsft her making phine calls and being nice to people that were going to have to be very busy over the next  few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment