Cameraman based in Edinburgh, employed by ITN, working for ITV's Good Morning Britain covering stories all over the UK and the world. War Zones, World Cups, Royal Tours and many other less exciting assignments, like interviewing current and ex Prime Ministers have kept me busy over the years working in Breakfast Television since GMTV came on the scene back in '93 and regional TV before that. In 2009 I began to record what it is like to work, the often strange and long hours needed to bring the hard news, human interest and fluffy fun to the UK's TV screens in the morning, mostly broadcasting live.

Friday 26 June 2009

Michael Jackson

Friday 26th June


The static and hiss on the radio was making it almost impossible to listen to as in the gently fading light I drove into the depths of beautiful Yorkshire. 


Hardly audible was the BBC news at ten o’clock. Before the noise of interference enveloped the presenters voice I heard something about Michael Jackson being taken to hospital.


An hour and a half later I arrived at my hotel, checked in and looked forward to just over four hours sleep before getting up for a live broadcast from the picture postcard town of Settle.


At some point in the small hours of the night I was awakened by the sound of a text message arriving at my phone.


I bore the news that our live broadcast had been cancelled because Michael Jackson had died and the programme was going to be devoted to that.


I switched off my alarm and tried to go back to sleep.


It took a while for me to return to the land of nod. I was thinking about the frenetic activity that would be going on in the newsroom in London.


The guys would be getting together the story of Jacko’s life and collecting a legion of tributes being made mourning the loss of this immense talent in such a fragile being.


In the morning I started the long lonely drive north. The radio news was full of reports from LA and all over the world. The music stations played lots of his music.


I did my own insignificant tribute with shots of the beautiful countryside on the journey home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment