Cameraman based in Edinburgh, employed by ITN, working for ITV's Good Morning Britain covering stories all over the UK and the world. War Zones, World Cups, Royal Tours and many other less exciting assignments, like interviewing current and ex Prime Ministers have kept me busy over the years working in Breakfast Television since GMTV came on the scene back in '93 and regional TV before that. In 2009 I began to record what it is like to work, the often strange and long hours needed to bring the hard news, human interest and fluffy fun to the UK's TV screens in the morning, mostly broadcasting live.

Friday, 24 April 2009

Iraq in a Couple of Days.....No Now!

Thursday 23rd April

After yesterdays running around on a day off I was hoping that today would be nice and relaxed just starting to get myself organised for my Sunday departure to London for the RAF flight to Iraq on Monday.

Things were going fine. I was doing one or two domestic things and starting to get my stuff together for the trip. I needed a new flight case for my equipment. So I ordered that to be delivered tomorrow or Saturday. I sent a few e-mails, made a few calls and generally took my time sorting things out.

Then I got the call. Could I go to London tomorrow for a departure to Iraq on Saturday? The office had received a call from the MOD asking if we could go earlier to enable us to film something that we would not be able to if we got the flight on Monday.  I said yes wearily, then went into a higher gear.  I made sure my flight case would get to me in time. It cost an extra £10 to ensure delivery before midday tomorrow. There was a flurry of e-mails to find out if it was possible. Various things like insurance for Richard and I had to be reorganised.

A relaxed evening at home with Anne taking it easy before I left ended up being a slightly hectic scramble. The lounge resembled an army surplus store with my camera equipment, personal kit and protective gear strewn all over the floor.

I could not pack because I did not have all the things I needed and I had to wait for the flight case’s arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment