Cameraman based in Edinburgh, employed by ITN, working for ITV's Good Morning Britain covering stories all over the UK and the world. War Zones, World Cups, Royal Tours and many other less exciting assignments, like interviewing current and ex Prime Ministers have kept me busy over the years working in Breakfast Television since GMTV came on the scene back in '93 and regional TV before that. In 2009 I began to record what it is like to work, the often strange and long hours needed to bring the hard news, human interest and fluffy fun to the UK's TV screens in the morning, mostly broadcasting live.

Tuesday 20 January 2009

Edinburgh yesterday, Inverness today

Inspired by friends and colleagues who say that I have a job that people are interested in I have decided to share the "global glitz, glamour and glory".

Tonight I find myself in a comfortable hotel in the fine city of Inverness. I might even get more than six hours sleep. I will then get up before the sparrows have even thought about breaking wind. Tomorrow morning I will have the pleasure of putting a number of excited kids from a school in Muir of Ord in Rosshire on national TV, live. If all the technical things work they will be doing a live workout with Britain's favourite exercise guru, Mr Motivator.

Last week I went around England and a little bit of South Wales with the lycra clad fit man. This morning I got a call that there would be a Live broadcast from Muir of Ord. So I got on the road with plenty of time to get to the hotel and have a relaxed time before bed. As with all these things the plan did not quite work out that easy. Firstly, on the drive, part of which was through some of the best snowy scenery in the world the wipers on my car started playing up and not working properly. I then got a call asking if I would get to Inverness in time to do a quick recce at the school because there might be a slight problem. 



The joys of driving in snow!!

I managed to get there just in time before the teacher and janitor left. There was a problem. On this particular Live the kids need to be able to see a TV so that they can see Mr Motivator and workout with him. I know that does not sound like a major problem. but it is when there is not a usable TV signal in the area. What I then had to do was try and get satellite receiver that we could use. Thankfully there is a Maplin's in Inverness and it would be open in time for me to get there. Would they have a portable sat' dish in stock? I was so relieved that they did. 

It is now sitting in my hotel room. I had hoped to test it but the window does not face in the direction of any of the satellites. My fingers are firmly crossed, when I am not typing, that I can get it to work in the morning. 

So much for my relaxed easy trip, meal and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment